Get updates by email:

The Daily Jim

All the wit that's fit to spit

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A City Worker Pleas with Spider-Man to Clean up After Himself

Hey Spider-Man,

Enough with the freakin’ webs already!  I get that you’re some hotshot superhero, savin’ New York, but c’mon man, pick up after yourself.  You’re the pride of Queens, how’s about helping us out by takin’ ‘em with you when you’re done with ‘em?

What do you think happens to them webs you leave stuck on buildings?  That’s freakin’ right, you “don’t know!”  Well, I’ll tell you, me and my crew gotta get up there and swat at ‘em with brooms, and sticks, and crap.  One time, I swear on my mother, they sent me up to the top of the Chrysler Building with a fishin’ pole to clean up your mess.  How much crime happens up there, web-head?

Now,  I don’t know what part of you makes that crap, and I don’t wanna know, but it’s sticky, man.  I go home, I gotta wash up for like an hour with turpentine.  No joke, one time my hand got stuck to a cereal box while I’m pourin’ breakfast for my kid.  I had to get on the A Train lookin’ like some kinda whack-a-do with a cardboard freakin’ Coco bird stuck to my hand.

Seriously, you’re like a spider, can’t you jump around the city from buildin’ to buildin’ without them webs?  I get that you gotta tie up bad guys.  I got no beef with that, but all the time with the swinging?  It seems pretty unnecessary.  You know, the kids’d love to see you on the subway once in a while.

Anyway, next time you see that Sandman, punch that jerk right in the ribs for me.  His mess is worse than yours.  I don’t know how that guy’s still walking around, I got like a hundred pounds of him in a box back at the shop.  The new kid at work threw a sandwich in there the other day, to see if he was hidin’.  So I said, “Did you just chuck a good sandwich in the Sandman box?  Now you got no sandwich, dope!”

Go Mets!

Donnie Burns, Crew Chief

New York City Dept. of Public Works

New York, NY 10038

Geek Definition of the Day

“VARIANT COVER” – A comic book produced with different covers for the express purpose of having you, the comic fan boy, boy multiple copies of the same thing.  Sometimes many covers will create a larger tapestry or work of art; others will be in 3-D; or have alternative concepts. We all love art or we […]

Lessons in Bad Media Franchising and Merchandising

1) Saw 8: The Reality Television Gameshow 2)Live action movie of Hungry, Hungry Hippos 3)The Tonight Show, starring Chewbacca 4) Deadpool vs. Punisher: The Musical 5) The Human Centipede sleeping bag 6) C-Span Live Action Role Playing Group 7) The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre ride at Six Flags Over Texas 8) Your Parents Basement is Always […]

Where is Our Modern Barney Miller?

The single camera glory that was Barney Miller can probably never be reproduced.  There’s heavy debate in the office whether it should be or not. It was essentially a 22-minute, 3-act play with minimal characters and only one set (after Season One that also featured Barney’s dining room at home).  The thing is, the writing […]

Non-John Hughes High School Movies from the ’80s

Yep. Most of the high school biggies were our man, Hughes. But if you can name the 1980s high school movie quotes listed below, your might have been paying attention to something else in ’88 other than the MTV Beach House and that cute girl with freckles in your 11th grade Chemistry class. 5)”Last night, […]

Mark Your Calendar, Nerds!!!

This Weekend is legendary Indy 500.  Please don’t think geekdom is limited to cosplay and app programming.  Oh no, my friends. Two years ago our Mid-West correspondent, Billy D, and I watched those car dorks jump a humongous Hot Wheels truck  over a bunch of school busses and twice as many drunks while Florence Henderson […]

Dailies

Attention lonely geeks! “Drunk” is only a superpower at Red Sox games and ex-girlfriends’ weddings.

Gentleman Jim

• MONDAY – Movies. Their glory and their hilarious tragedy.  

• TUESDAY – Television.  Our favorite drug; constant and comforting, but often packaged with regret.  

• WEDNESDAY – Wildcards! Probably a piece of weird fiction in which Spider-Man has to talk down Laura Ingles from making a bad decision.  

• THURSDAY – Thesis-level Dorkdom. Jargon, geek terms and weird insight explained for the rest of us.  

• FRIDAY – Fantasy, Sci-fi, and comics.  Like living in your parents’ basement only without the inherent desperation. Well…